How to Program a Firestick Remote: A Firestick remote is your TV’s remote control. It turns on your TV, as well as accesses a wide variety of devices and functions. For the past couple of years, Firestick devices have been marketed as “Dumb” remotes, used for only basic functions. But that’s not so true anymore!
It’s no secret that Amazon’s Firestick has become immensely popular for streaming content. With such a large following, there are bound to be more than a few remote programming questions. We’re going to tackle these together in as straightforward a way as possible. We’ll start with some general information and move on to specifics, so you can program your remote quickly and painlessly — with just the remote control and your TV!
The remote included with your Amazon Firestick is infrared (IR) based, just like most of the other remotes in your living room. It allows for complete control of the device without the need for line-of-sight. The remote is small, lightweight, and fits comfortably in one hand. This means you can keep your other hand free to navigate while you’re flicking through channels or searching through menus. If you’ve ever used a TV remote before, you’ll understand how to use it right away.
Check also: How To Reset Firestick Without Remote
How to Program a Firestick Remote
- Step 1: Turn on your TV and then press “Setup” or the button you found in Step 2 above.
- Step 2: Insert the batteries into your TV’s remote control.
- Step 3: Find the manufacturer of your TV.
- Step 4: Select your manufacturer from the list provided so that you can view all of its compatible brands (some manufacturers are hard to find).
- Step 5: Select the brand from the list provided so that you can view all of its compatible models.
- Step 6: Select a model from the list provided so that you can view all of its compatible codes. You can also put in a code manually if there is no code available for that brand/model combination.
- Step 7: Select the code that matches best with the remote control of your TV.
- Step 8: Press “Enter”.
- Congratulations! You have now successfully programmed your Firestick Remote so that it can operate most of the functions on your TV.
Additional tips: There are a few other things you can do if you want more functionality from your Firestick remote. If you previously used a Roku or Apple TV, this is especially useful since both of those devices use infrared to work, like most TVs and cable boxes. So all you have to do is use a program like ‘Back to my Mac’. This will allow you to run it from any location.
Firestick has its advantages over other streaming devices
- Simple Navigation – No Hiccups or Confusion When Changing Channels or Changing Inputs on Your TV. The power button and volume buttons can operate additional equipment in addition to just turning on your television.
- Ease of Use – You’re not going to need a lot of time to learn how to use it. It’s just like your traditional remote control.
- Price – Although slightly higher than other streaming devices, the cost has been significantly lowered since its release, making it more affordable for most families. This can be especially useful if you have multiple TV sets in your home that all require separate remotes.
Check also: Best Universal Remotes for Amazon Fire TV
What Can a Firestick Remote Do?
As mentioned above, the Firestick is similar to most normal remotes on the market today. It can turn on/off your TV and change channels and inputs on your TV. However, it can also be used to control your DVD, Blu-ray player, and even a streaming device, like Roku or Apple TV. The Firestick remote is so versatile that it can even perform functions on external devices such as:
- Power on/off – You can operate the power function of your external devices with the Firestick remote. This is great if you don’t have external remote controls or none that are compatible with certain brands or models of devices.
- Volume – You can also control the volume of some remotes with the Firestick remote.
Follow these simple steps to learn how
- -Scroll through the setup menu on your TV until you find “System” or “Setup”. -Select “System” or “Setup”.
- -Scroll down to “Device Setup” or “Remote Control Setup”.
- -Press the button that says “Device Setup” or “Remote Control Setup”, depending on the TV.
- -Scroll until you find the Firestick Remote Model Number. This varies from device to device but it’s usually under the heading of Firestick TV or Firestick Remote. Keep in mind that this is different from your Amazon Firestick’s serial number, as they are two different things.
- -Make a note of the Amazon Fire Stick Remote Model Number. This is how you’ll program your remote control!
Final Verdict: Whether you’re looking to replace one remote with another or still exploring your options, learn how to program a Firestick remote first. This can save you the frustration of having to go through the setup process over and over again while you try various codes.
1. Q: How do I program the remote on my Amazon Fire TV Stick?
A: The remote that comes with your Firestick should have instructions in the package. If not, you can find instructions for programming a Firestick remote at this link here.
2. Q: Why does my remote keep turning off?
A: This could indicate a number of things, such as the batteries being weak or the device being bumped or shaken while in use – especially if you’re leaving it on your countertop or if you’re moving it around. If this happens often, try replacing the batteries with fresh ones or experimenting with different locations. If that doesn’t fix it, consider replacing your Firestick remote altogether.
3. Q: My remote works on my TV but not on the DVD player and/or Blu-ray player; what should I do?
A: This could indicate that your Firestick remote is not compatible with your external devices. If there are no other remotes that work with your TV and/or Blu-ray player, this may be the only option you have available. If you have another brand or model of TV in addition to what you have already, this may be an option as well. You can read more about which remotes are compatible with Firestick devices here. You can also check out our guide to programming a Firestick remote to see if that helps.
Virat Raj is a Digital Marketing Practitioner & International Keynote Speaker currently living a digital nomad lifestyle. During his more than 10 years-long expertise in digital marketing, Virat Raj has been a marketing consultant, trainer, speaker, and author of “Learn Everyday yourself: In Pursuit of Learning” which has sold over 10,000 copies, worldwide.