Dishwasher Won’t Turn on: Dishwashers were brought as the revolution in the era of technology and in the world of electronic products to ease the work of humans. Various brands provide the best dishwashers, but the Ge dishwashers are the choice of the people, but in recent times, it has been observed that Ge dishwashers don’t function or work properly if there is no power in them. Let’s find out more about it.
Dishwasher Won’t Turn On?
Check also: GE Universal Remote Codes
Reasons: Why does it happen?
Due to the following reasons, it happens.
- Bad weather conditions
- Frequent power cuts
- Misfunctioning of any component
- Short-circuiting in internal parts of the dishwasher
Power Checks of Ge Dishwasher
Keep in mind that your dishwasher has enough power supply to run properly.
Keeping an Eye on Voltage Input
If your dishwasher is run and controlled by wall switches, check whether it’s turned on. Now, look if the dishwasher cable plugs are inserted into the wall or not. There is a high chance that your electric outlet might be at fault, so test that, too. At last, plug other devices into the outlet to see if it gets turned on.
If your dishwasher is plugged into a GFI or GFCI outlet, confirm that your electrical outlet is working. The outlets have two buttons: “Test” and “Reset.” By pressing the reset button, check if your dishwasher turns on or not.
Outlets of GFI and GFCI regulate the power an appliance receives to save people from electrical shocks. These outlets sense the interruption in the power supply, and then they stop the current before it reaches the machine. For example, if your electrical dishwasher is experiencing an overload, then your GFCI outlet will automatically stop sending power to the dishwasher.
If you don’t find the issue, open your house’s circuit breaker to check if all the circuits are off. Usually, you want the circuit to be closed for transmitting the electricity in your entire house. But modern circuit breakers are designed in a manner to have circuiting free electrical current which is strong.
We are lucky as the circuit breakers as these can open and close without sustaining any damage. So, turning on the circuit again on flipping the switch will not cause any harm to the outlet.
Try your best to avoid overloading circuits and outlets, as you will have to face more difficulties rather than simply disabling the dishwasher. The below lists indicate warning signs of overloading circuits:
- Dimming or flickering of lights
- Discolored walls near outlets
- Mild tangled or receiving electric shocks from electrical appliances
- Blown fuses
- Smell of burning
- Audible crackling and sizzling near outlets
Take precautionary measures to prevent dangerous overloads. For example, plug your dishwasher directly into the wall. Avoid the usage of extension cords for powering your appliances. It’s important to remember that the extension cord does not multiply the power coming from the outlet.
Instead, it distributes the power among the other outlets. Therefore, it is better to install more outlets to prevent the worst situations. Electrical Safety Foundation International suggests that you should additionally inspect for damaged cords, including bare wires, loose connections, or cracked sockets, to prevent disastrous situations.
Check also: Best Dishwashers
Is the Water Valve On?
Your dishwasher won’t start if your water valve isn’t on. Every home must have a water valve installed at the time of its construction. Most houses have water valves under their kitchen sink, but they can also be near the water heater or in another location.
Look under your kitchen sink and do a good measurement. The water valve is usually found in the shape of a wheel or lever. To open the valve, slowly turn it on counterclockwise. To close it, turn it clockwise. If you open the valve and see no water still, check if your appliances are turned on.
Check Door Switch Operation
The switch of the door might be the culprit. Enter the code of error mode on your machine by pressing the “Cycle Select” and “Start” buttons together for at least five seconds. This code will prompt the machine to do a Door Start Check. If the door is closed properly, the lights will turn on. Flashing lights mean you should shut the door again. Make sure to press “Start” afterward to bypass the safety feature.
If the lights keep on flashing, you need to repair their components or see if your dishwasher’s electronic control board is being damaged. A working electronic control board is imperative because it sees washing, draining, and drying cycles. As you can think of, your machine is useless without it.
Dishwasher doors might not latch if dishes protrude and are not organized correctly inside. Another potential issue is surrounding cabinets which prevent the door from getting closed, typically resulting in poor installation or loose screws while setting up the machine.
In many cases, the latch is the one causing a major problem. Closing the dishwasher door haphazardly might push the latch out of its position. If the door gets close, but the latch fails to activate the lights, your latch needs to be replaced due to a mechanical or electrical malfunction. The issue may also rest with the strike plate, door hinges, door springs, or door gasket. When the dishwasher door shuts, the latch generally connects with the strike plate. But the strike plate may move or become loose, preventing the door from latching. Luckily, the strike plate is made of good material, and the dodo does not get et easily damaged. To fix its position, unscrew it and affix it to its proper place.
In addition, door hinges grow rusty or get loosen up. If this is the problem, the door will move out of place when you push it upside down. The door may also look crooked and make a squeaking noise. Replace the hinges with new ones.
Door springs are essential for the machine’s doors that are working properly. The springs are located by the hinges. Check if the spring has come loose or is damaged. They should have even coils and be rust-free. They should also be on either side of the door. Replace the springs if you encounter this type of issue with the dishwasher.
Old dishwashers can easily run into problems with their door gaskets. A door gasket is a seal that runs inside the machine and works with the latch to seal in water properly. Replace the gasket immediately if it comes out.
Child Control Lock: Cancellation
- Child locks prevent children from accidentally turning on the dishwasher. So, if child locks are activated, this mechanism can prevent your dishwasher from getting started.
- Check the consumer’s guide for proper steps for disabling the child control lock. The GE web portal can provide downloadable manuals specific to model numbers if you do not have a copy.
- Usually, in the newer models, you lock and unlock child controls by pressing the “Dry Boost” pad at the same time as the “Steam-Sani,” “Pre-soak-Sani”, or “Sanitize” pads for three seconds.
- There are other methods for disabling child locks on newer models. Press and hold the Cycle pad for three seconds. Otherwise, press and hold the “Dry” or “Dry Boost” pad and the “Steam” pad simultaneously for three seconds.
- If your model has a lock control light, it should turn off if the child lock is deactivated. The child lock is activated if the light is on.
Checking if Dishwasher Is in Demo Mode
- Ensure your machine isn’t in demo mode, which won’t let it turn on.
- The best way to check the dishwasher in demo mode is to press the start button. If the button makes a triple beep or doesn’t respond, your unit is in demo mode.
- To disable demo mode, press the “Start” and “Heated Dry” pads simultaneously for five seconds.
Checking LCD Panel for Leak Detection
- Some GE dishwashers have a leak detection or floor protection feature, which can keep the machine from turning on. If this feature activates, it likely means the pan in your dishwasher is leaking.
- If this is the case, the LCD panel will display the alert “Leak Detected.” Fix the leak, and the machine will run again.
GE Dishwasher Won’t Switch on After Power Outage
- It’s puzzling when a power outage ends, but your machine doesn’t switch on. In most cases, the issue is resolved after resetting the unit.
How To Reset GE Dishwasher
Trying To reset Your GE Dishwasher
- Resetting your dishwasher is an easy solution to many instances in which your unit is unresponsive. For this reason, it should be one of the first steps in your plan of action after verifying your unit has power.
- Thankfully, resetting your machine is painless: all involved is pressing the “Start/Reset” or “Start/Restart” button, depending on the specific model.
- Close the door if you haven’t already to avoid a spill. During its reset, the machine will stop its cycle and drain water.
- The “Start” button should blink at this time. After about two minutes, the light will stop blinking, indicating the reset worked.
Check the Main Control Board LED Service Light
- Most GE dishwashers have a green service light on their main control board that indicates whether the unit is receiving adequate voltage. So, if you see the green light, you are good.
- If the light is off, the unit is not getting any power. First, check the electrical breaker in your home and investigate whether the power supply has been interrupted. If not, check the control voltages.
- If the machine is still not receiving any voltage, it’s time to replace the main control board. Before you buy one, check that the control board is the right fit for your model number.
- Find your model number in one of three places, depending on the model. Firstly check the left front side of your machine. The second place to check is the right front side of the machine. Lastly, you should check the right-side edge of the door.
Replacing the Main Control Board
- Once you have a new main control board, you can remove the old one and affix the new one to your machine.
- First, turn the breaker for your machine off. Next, remove the bottom cover with a nut driver. Then remove the two screws holding the metal cover to the board. After removing the metal cover, one can see the control board.
- Start unplugging the wires which are there in the control board. After this, to restore the wires, replace the control board. To start the machine, press the Start button. Now, remove the metal cover and important components of the screw.
Latest GE Dishwasher is Not Getting On
Few situations are as frustrating as a brand-new appliance not working. Therefore, it’s best to check first if the problem is the effect of an inadequate power supply, as detailed above. If the power fails, call the installation company to assess the problem. Unfortunately, GE dishwasher warranties do not cover issues with installations. Up to one year after the original purchase, GE will replace any defective part of these dishwasher models free of charge, covering service fees. Up to two years afterward, GE promises to replace defective parts but will not cover service fees.
From three to five years onward, GE will replace only racks or electronic control boards and will not cover service fees. Beyond that, GE agrees to replace only the tub or door liner free of charge, covering service fees. On an important note, GE will only cover parts that fail due to problems with workmanship or materials.
GE dishwashers are important kitchen appliances, but every appliance needs maintenance, so one should check about the problems in the dishwasher. An Unresponsive and silent machine finishes the hope in its consumers or users. There are easier solutions for these common issues encountered by people using dishwashers.
Some of these solutions only need the snap of a few buttons to work! Others take a long time and money to remedy, but they remain straightforward. In a couple of days, you will be back to admiring the shine of your dishes.
Virat Raj is a Digital Marketing Practitioner & International Keynote Speaker currently living a digital nomad lifestyle. During his more than 10 years-long expertise in digital marketing, Virat Raj has been a marketing consultant, trainer, speaker, and author of “Learn Everyday yourself: In Pursuit of Learning” which has sold over 10,000 copies, worldwide.