How to Reset Whirlpool Ice maker: Whirlpool is a company that has been producing refrigerators for many years and has flooded the consumer market with some of the best ones. People have been choosing this brand because of its fantastic ice makers. This is one of the catchiest features of Whirlpool refrigerators.
The ice maker can produce a tremendous amount of ice without any physical exercise of filling the ice trays with water from time to time. But it is also a device. So, it is evident that sometimes it might stop functioning accurately. And so, does it need to be reset?
Below, we are going to show you some tricks with the help of which you will be able to reset your Whirlpool ice maker. So, don’t rush to call upon the serviceman immediately. Try these steps and resolve your issue.
Check also: Best GE Refrigerators
Note: This guide will work for most of the Whirlpool refrigerator models, such as 2-AY, 3ECKMF8, WRX735SDBM00, and others.
How to Reset Whirlpool Ice Maker
Adjusting the Arm Feeler
The terminology ‘Arm Feeler’ might sound a bit new to most people, but after knowing the meaning of it, you will know what it is. The Arm feeler is the impulse within the ice maker, which commands the ice maker to produce ice enormously. It signals the ice maker when the ice tray is about to get full, so it can stop making the ice.
But often, the arm feeler gets stuck, which cannot give the usual signal to the ice maker, making the ice maker think that the ice tray is not complete yet, or the ice tray doesn’t receive signals anymore. This matter may awaken due to two causes. One is the arm feeler may get frozen, due to which it gets stuck, or otherwise, the screws holding together the arm feeler might also get stuck.
So, what to do now?
Try the below hacks:
- Physically push down the arm feeler. This might make the ice break away from the arm feeler, thus resolving the first reason.
- Keep doing this repeatedly. And who knows, the screws may also loosen up, solving the second reason why the arm feeler gets stuck.
After doing this, if the ice maker stops making the ice automatically once the tray gets full, you will know that your quick hack has worked.
Rely Upon the Reset Switch
How about using the reset switch if the first issue does not diagnose your Whirlpool ice maker?
You will find the reset switch below the ice maker, above the tray of ice, or underneath the tray.
But what to do further?
- Locate the reset switch.
- After locating it, press the switch and hold on to it for some seconds.
- You have to clutch it until you perceive a beep sound from inside.
Hence, your problem will be solved.
Press the On/Off Button
Another way through which you can reset your Whirlpool ice maker is by pressing the on/off button. This is also a method for your ice maker to start working correctly again.
You can find the on/off button either underneath the tray of ice or the tray of ice and cover plate.
Now, do the following instruction:
- Put aside the ice tray and the cover plate in some other place.
- Tune off the button.
- Unplug the ice maker from the primary connection.
- Waiting for a few minutes will be better.
- Now, plug in the ice maker to the primary connection again.
- After plugging it in, tune in to the switch.
- Now you can replace the ice tray and cover plate as necessary.
By doing so, your ice maker can get reset.
Unplug the Refrigerator from the Main Switch Board
If all the tricks mentioned above are not going your way, then the last but not least trick is to remove the refrigerator plug from the main switchboard. This is the simplest yet most effective way.
After unplugging the refrigerator, do the following things:
- Wait for some time before plugging the refrigerator back into the main switchboard.
- Now you can plug in the refrigerator.
- After doing so, try pushing the arm feeler a couple of rounds. This will make the water go into the ice maker, after which it will freeze, and ice will be formed.
Resolving the issue of resetting the Whirlpool ice maker is not something very difficult, but often the easiest things are the one that gives us the most severe headaches. I am sure that the readers of this article will be able to solve this issue. But even if you cannot do so, your refrigerator might be facing some severe problems. Try to contact the shop and ask them to send someone who can repair it.
Virat Raj is a Digital Marketing Practitioner & International Keynote Speaker currently living a digital nomad lifestyle. During his more than 10 years-long expertise in digital marketing, Virat Raj has been a marketing consultant, trainer, speaker, and author of “Learn Everyday yourself: In Pursuit of Learning” which has sold over 10,000 copies, worldwide.