How to Connect Alexa To LG Smart TV: The Amazon Alexa voice assistant is not only a must-have for any home, but it’s also getting better at what it does. Amazon has recently released their new Alexa skill called SmartThings which enables you to use your voice to control smart devices that are connected to the SmartThings hub. Although the name may make you think of your grandparents’ thermostat.
Check also: 55 Inch TV and 65 Inch TV
The internet of things is alive and well with this new AI-driven gadget, which means you can now ask Alexa anything from turning on lights to triggering your sprinkler system. No need for an expensive smart hub with Alexa built-in, just connect an LG Smart TV and start enjoying world-class AI integration into your home entertainment centre. Here’s how to do it.
Two Useful Alexa Skills for LG Smart TVs
The thing about voice-controlled devices is that, no matter how good they are at what they do, it will never be the same as the real thing. With that in mind, here are some useful, built-in Alexa skills you can use with your LG Smart TV:
By telling Alexa to ‘Open Trakt on TV’ you can access everything Trakt has to offer via your smartphone or tablet using your voice or a speaker bar or soundbar connected to the TV. It’s a great way to watch your favorite shows and movies without having to remember passwords or manhandle your smartphone.
By telling Alexa to ‘Play ABC News’ you can access the news channel on your TV anywhere you are in your home. One simple command will enable access to reliable and trustworthy news around the world.
By telling Alexa to ‘Play ESPN Sports’ you can access all ESPN sports channels including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNews, and more that you can use through cable, satellite, or over-the-top (OTT) streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and more.
Steps to Connect Alexa to LG Smart TV
- Step 1: Open the Alexa app on your device and select ‘Skills’ from the navigation pane.
- Step 2: Type in ‘SmartThings’ in the search bar, then press ‘Enter.’
- Step 3: Press ‘Enable Skill’ to pair with LG Smart TVs.
- Step 4: A Wi-Fi code will be generated for you, write it down for later.
- Step 5: Select your Smart TV manufacturer name and model number on your LG TV. This is usually located in the settings but may vary depending on which model you have.
- Step 6: Select ‘LG TV’ or ‘LG SMART TV.
- Step 7: Type your Wi-Fi password and select ‘Connect.’
This connection will now need to be re-established each time you turn on the TV, but it only takes a few seconds with Alexa ready to use. Once these steps have been completed, you can start using Alexa to control your TV. When you want to use Alexa, say ‘Alexa’ or press and hold the mic button on your remote. From there, you can ask her to perform a variety of tasks including turning on and off the TV, changing channels, playing music, and more.
To add a new device to Alexa, such as a game console or smart lock (not available for LG TV models), simply open the SmartThings app and follow the prompts. You can also customize each device so that eventually you’ll be able to tell Alexa what kind of music you’re in the mood for or which movie you want to watch next.
How to use it?
Once you have Alexa connected to your LG Smart TV, you can use it in the following ways:
- Turn on and off the TV with your voice.
- Change its channels by telling Alexa to ‘Change Channel to ABC’.
- Read the news or browse local weather reports by telling Alexa ‘Open ESPN News. There’s also a choice of live television, news, or sports that follows your default channels available on all LG Smart TVs.
- Entertain your kids by telling Alexa to ‘Play Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Or if they’d rather play Lego Star Wars, you can ask them to use their tablet or smartphone to open the Lego Star Wars app and then tell Alexa to ‘Open Lego Star Wars on TV’.
- Ask her to play a specific album, playlist, or song like ‘Play Michael Jackson’s Thriller on TV volume 5′.
- Find out about the score in any one of the many games available for LG Smart TVs.
Is it safe to use Connect Alexa to LG Smart TV?
As this feature is only available on smartphones and tablets, the answer is no. We can’t speak for any other software features or independent firmware that may be available for these devices, so the answer is technical “maybe.” But if you can safely use connected services to connect to your Smart TV, then you should be able to verify the safety of your new device by confirming what your own privacy settings are on your account page. Check out our guide on how to leave reviews as an anonymous user.
Once you do have a valid license, however, there will always be risks involved when it comes to sharing information with others who do not have a legitimate copy of their license. For example, if you’re watching a movie on your LG Smart TV and someone walks into the room, it would be possible for them to ask Alexa to purchase and stream the same movie. It’s also important to note that these voice-controlled devices are always listening for an activation word, so Amazon has been able to create a specific knowledge base of audio samples in order to improve its ability over time.
Connecting Alexa to LG Smart TVs is a great way to add voice-controlled functionality to your home entertainment system. There are a ton of great uses for this device but it’s not the only option available for the LG. For example, you can also connect Samsung devices, Google Assistant, and other popular devices, like Sonos and even Amazon Echo. With all these options out there, it’s time to take control of your home entertainment system.
Virat Raj is a Digital Marketing Practitioner & International Keynote Speaker currently living a digital nomad lifestyle. During his more than 10 years-long expertise in digital marketing, Virat Raj has been a marketing consultant, trainer, speaker, and author of “Learn Everyday yourself: In Pursuit of Learning” which has sold over 10,000 copies, worldwide.